Affirmations are positive present tense statements that you read, say or listen to with a recording of yourself.
The aim with positive affirmations is to repeat a statement over and over again, day after day, until it makes an impression on your subconscious. Once this occurs, your subconscious mind will sense a difference between what it sees as being "real" and your outer physical world.
So while the changes are happening you may feel resistance and blocks perhaps negativity. Just acknowledge the negativity, thank it and let it go. It will seem almost magical the way doors and opportunities open up for you everywhere in order to make that affirmation a reality.
Some basic rules:
1. They must be personal. You are going to use the words "I" and "My" in each case. For example, a proper affirmation would be "I give myself permission to prosper" "My heart is willing to allow love flow freely" “My income is constantly increasing”
2. They must be positive. You would state your affirmation like this: "I eat healthy meals each day." A negative, and thus ineffective affirmation, would be "I don't eat junk food."
You see, although the subconscious is a powerful tool, it is still rather simple. It sees what you are saying as images rather than words, and so it can't comprehend words like "don't" and "can't." When you say, "I don't eat junk food," your subconscious mind brings up an image of you and junk food, and you actually begin to reinforce the behaviour that you are trying to change.
3. They must be in present tense. Logically you would think to make the affirmation in the future tense, as in "I will be successful in my business." But this isn't the case. When you put your statement out into some distant future, no tension is created within the subconscious mind, and therefore no imprinting or changes will occur. You see, when you say that you will be successful someday, you are also implying that you are not successful now. That matches exactly with what your subconscious knows to be true, and therefore no change.
4. Another useful tip is to get some index cards or post it notes and clearly write out your affirmation in big, bold lettering. Place these cards around your environment so that you see them constantly. Place one by your bed, one on your refrigerator, one on your bathroom mirror, one on the steering wheel of your car (please don't try to read the affirmation while you're driving!!!!), one by your computer and so on in places where you will see them often.
5. As soon as you wake up in the morning and right before you fall asleep at night, say your affirmation out loud many times.
6. When you repeat these statements, speak with enthusiasm, and smile knowing that with each affirmation read, you are deepening the imprint on your subconscious mind. Each time you see any of the other index cards that you wrote the affirmation on, say the statement out loud whenever possible again with enthusiasm and faith.
I know that it sounds over simplistic, but this mind technique has worked for many including myself and can work for you if you maintain the discipline to carry it out. Be patient as some Affirmations take longer than others.
'Everything I need to know comes to me, I am safe'
Warm wishes Loretta x
(Adapted from Greg Frost)